About this role
We’re hiring a Synthetic Organic Scientist for our client, a chemical manufacturer, to join their team. This is a permanent position.
This position entails providing, completing and being responsible for carrying out synthetic projects in the lab and contributing to a safe working environment. The candidate also maintains an accurate record of all work with an eye to reproducibility and recording of costs.
- Be able to set up and organize equipment and reactions so that they are run in a safe manner with guidance from the Lab Supervisor or designate
- Abide by health and safety guidelines prescribed by governing bodies and the TRC Environmental Health and Safety Committee
- Will need help in recognizing potential safety issues
- Keep an organized bench
- Keep up with company SOP and safety training
- Be able to do process development with guidance
- Contribute to the choice of the correct reaction and/or reagents to improve a reaction outcome
- Be capable of carrying out: dry reactions, separations by chromatography, straightforward distillations and crystallizations
- May need assistance in interpreting analytical data and spectra
- May require assistance in organizing his / her own time and daily activities
- Make good reaction scale choices, possibly needing input from their supervisor
- Complete reactions on a weekly basis at a pace > 70% of the company average, including work-up and purification
- Advance 2-3 projects on a weekly basis at a pace > 70% of the company average
- Keep a notebook that can be read, understood and reproduced. May require clarification after auditing by the Lab Supervisor
- Paperwork for completed projects is turned in in a timely manner
- Work closely with Lab Supervisor and other members of the chemistry production team to resolve technical with Projects
- Work with Finished Goods & Logistics team and Receiving regarding materials
- Work with Analytical team regarding product testing
- Work with Maintenance & Facilities Department regarding equipment issues
- Work with Human Resources Department regarding personnel issues and HR policies
- Work with Environmental Health & Safety Department regarding environmental, health and safety issues and policies
- PhD, MSc or equivalent experience in Synthetic Organic Chemistry
- Have a competent knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry, reagents and common laboratory techniques
- Work effectively with strategic and technical guidance
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
Join the Brunel Family
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Over 45 years, we’ve created a global network of interesting clients and talented individuals working together through a vast array of services.
Start applying immediately
Sending an application is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the required documents ready to go.
- Certifications (optional)
- Job references (optional)
- Motivation Letter (optional)
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Maria Camanag is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number:
Brunel Canada - Toronto
All fresh vacancies in your mailbox?
Sing up for the Brunel job alert
Look at our privacy statement